- I welcome you all to the inauguration of the board of the Nigerian National Competitiveness Council of Nigeria (NCCN). I congratulate the Chairman and members of the board on your well-deserved appointment.
- As pioneer members of the board, you were selected to serve on account of your proven skills, experience and competence. I expect that you will use these qualities to add value to the important work that the NCCN is called upon to perform in our ongoing efforts to reform our investment climate.
- The objective of the NCCN is to enhance Nigeria’s competitiveness by proposing policy recommendations that will create an economy, which will attract both domestic and foreign investments. These policies should be developed on quantitative, evidence-based analysis and should align with our Transformation Agenda.
- This administration remains firm in our commitment to laying a solid foundation for sustainable development and a more prosperous future for our country. The inauguration of this committee today is a manifestation of this commitment. Indeed, it marks a turning point in our quest to accelerate our country’s economic competiveness and transformation.
- The Committee’s terms of reference are as follows:
- To benchmark, monitor, evaluate and enhance Nigeria’s competitiveness ranking;
- To make viable recommendations that will achieve consensus on policy measures in order to create a world-class business environment;
- To proactively work with the private sector to improve their competitiveness and productivity;
- To create and release reports on Nigeria’s competitiveness that will guide Nigeria’s development and policy framework;
- To co-ordinate local efforts to stimulate competitiveness, by communicating and co-operating with national and international stakeholders through hosting events, seminars, and national and local level Conferences;
- To liaise with, and learn from Competitiveness Councils and other similar bodies in other countries;
- To help identify and publicize emerging competitiveness and sustainable development issues.
- Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, for our nation to obtain her fair share of the global wealth, we must improve our business environment and enhance the competitiveness of firms operating within our country. Only then, will these firms expand their operations, create more jobs and wealth for Nigerians, attract local and foreign direct investments, and make our country a global investment destination.
- Your board, therefore, owes this nation a duty to execute its mandate transparently and diligently. I expect that you will carry out your assignment on schedule and in accordance with the terms of reference. I also expect to see further improvements in both our competitiveness and Doing Business rankings, in the months ahead.
- Let me emphasize that the Federal Government accords great importance to this assignment. We will therefore, support you throughout this vital task of improving our country’s business environment.
- Before I conclude, I would like to commend the Tony Elumelu Foundation for its contributions to the ongoing efforts to promote competitiveness in our economy. Government will continue to support private initiatives and encourage private bodies to key into our Transformation Agenda.
- I wish the pioneer NCCN board every success in its assignment. I have every confidence that you will not let our nation down.
- Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, it is now my pleasure to inaugurate the Nigerian National Competitiveness Council.
- Thank you and God bless our great country.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.